Washing hands is the cornerstone of good hygiene and is essential for maintaining health and hygiene. Day in and day out, you come into contact with thousands of surfaces that can be the unlikely and unsuspecting home of germs - think mobile phones, your keyboard, the tv remote, or even the yoga mat.
Giving hands a quick rinse with soap and water has been habitual, but it’s not actually the best practice. It is recommended by leading health institutions such as the World Health Organisation (WHO) that you wash hands for 60-seconds to effectively wash away any germs and bacteria on your hands.
How to Wash Hands the Right Way
- Wet hands with warm water
- Apply 1-2 Pumps of your preferred Urban Rituelle Hand Wash (or lather up your favourite Urban Rituelle soap bar).
- Work the soap into the palm of your hands until a nice think lather starts to form.
- Rub and massage into the palms and work the soap in between your fingers – don’t forget to work up the lengths of your fingers all the way to the tip. Don’t forget your thumbs!
- Wash your hands for 60-seconds so the soap can effectively remove any nasties.
- Rinse away the soap with warm water and say buh-bye to nasties as they are washed away down the drain!
- Dry your hands with a clean towel – we recommend keeping your own towel (not sharing) to prevent the spread of germs or to use a paper towel tot dry hands if you have them on hand.
When Is the Most Important Time to Wash Hands?
- After blowing your nose sneezing or coughing
- Before and after handling foods
- After using the toilet
- After changing nappies
- After handling garbage
What If I Don’t Have Immediate Access to Soap & Water?
The next best thing is sanitiser! Sanitisers with a base of 60% alcohol or more are the most effective for disinfecting hands when soap and water are not immediately available.
Made with a 70% alcohol base and a blend of essential oils.
Stop Hands from Drying
Constant application of sanitiser can quickly dry out hands due to the high alcohol content. Applying a hand cream is a quick, simple and effective way to keep thirsty hands hydrated!
Our assortment of boutique hand creams pair perfectly with our washes and sanitisers to help keep hands cleansed, protected and feeling beautiful.
Our Favourite Self Care Duos to Protect & Nourish Hands
Smells Like: Lemongrass, Lemon Myrtle, Eucalyptus & Grapefruit
Our Flourish Organics Hand Wash is a fresh, citrus scent that is gentle enough for the whole family to us. Formulated with a blend of natural and organic ingredients like aloe vera, calendula and ginseng, it’s suitable for even the most delicate of hands. Partner with the matching Hand Cream. Made with a 70% aloe vera base, to intensely hydrate dry hands.
Smells like: White Lotus, Geranium Leaf & Bergamot
A favourite for those of you who love a refined floral fragrance, the Alchemy Hand Wash promises to leave hands squeaky clean, fresh and lightly scented. Pair with the matching Hand Cream for a feel-good ritual for smoother, softer and nourished hands.
Smells like: Mandarin, Basil & Lime
This is the perfect unisex scent, and our Equilibrium Hand Wash has been a fan favourite for years! It leaves hands refreshed and cleansed. With its purifying properties, it leaves skin thoroughly cleansed and revitalised. The matching Hand Cream is made with a blend of essential oils and herbal protectors to keep hand protected and hydrated – it’s non greasy and absorbs instantly!